Sunday, February 7, 2016

10 Things I need to have on hand when I write (and a big Writing Milestone!)


I am tooting my own horn right now, but I am working on a draft for my novel, A Lost Lady, and I have reached One Hundred and One Thousand words (101,000 looks so much better spelled out right?) and 115 pages of New Times Roman 10 point font. I looked down at my word could and did a little dance. I imagine that I have a least another 50,000 words until the end of the novel. It will officially be my longest work yet. I have a hard time believing I have come so far.

I get in a grove and just start going.  It helps that I have a rough outline of certain scenes to keep me on track. Thank you note cards! I even outline the last scene in more detail as it is rather pivotal to the development of my characters romantic relationship.

Here are ten things I need to get the writing rolling.

1) Quiet. I know that a lot of people like to listen to music while writing, and occasionally I will, but I get distracted by a song I like and stop to sing along. Once out of my own headspace it can be hard to get back to the point of writing nirvana.

2) Water. Any beverage will do but more often than not it is water. Ice water being the most preferable. Having something on hand helps went I hit a bump, I can take a drink, think a moment and switch gears. Super refreshing!

3) A dictionary/thesaurus. I pinterest things like lists with the title of "100 ways to say look." Weather it is the Merriam-Webster website or a traditional quick reference paperback I usually have both on hand. Recently I realized that Word Doc has a dictionary as well as a thesaurus and that has saved me a lot of back and forth, but truthfully, no one can beat Merriam-Webster. Not even close!

4) My Notes! From scribbled ideas on a piece of scratch paper to my 3x4 inch note cards outlining my story arch I keep them handy in case I need a refresher on what happens next.

5) Character list. This isn't grouped into the notes section because I have a tendency to look at it a lot more than anything else. Mostly to remember how is related to home and how to spell their names. In a medieval-esque novel it is hard to remember everyone in the novel and who they are and where they are from. Seriously, why did I need so many characters? Not that I'm not attached to each one, but I lose track of whose who all the time. Without the master list I would be lost. I try to keep it brief. Attached is a screen capture of the excel doc. It's just a very brief list with basic physical descriptions, age, a blurb about who they are and what they did or didn't do, and in most cases one word that I thought best describes them.  

6) Chap stick. Technically mine is not that brand but an Orange Blossom Honey lip balm by The Naked Bee. I think I nabbed this from my sister and refused to give it back, but I find that I feel calmer when I put it on and am less likely to chew on my bottom lip when frustrated.

7) A foot rest. Currently I am using the paper shredder I store under my desk as a foot rest but I've found that it is a just the right height for me and no, I don't worry about harming it. Though now that I said that I will probably start to worry about that.

8) Light. I have a fan with a light on it and  hate it on unless I am cleaning my room. Instead I have a clamp light from IKEA that moved to be my desk light. I don't have enough room on my desk for a traditional light so the clamp works wonders. I had to replace the energy saving with a low watt traditional bulb because it took too long to get to full strength.

9) Gum or a snack of some kind. I like sweet mint gum and mints but more of a subtle flavor than the bad breath eradicating things my sister favors. Gum is better than any other snack as I won't consume large quantities mindlessly as I sit in front of my computer screen. Plus, chewing helps relieve some of my frustration when things are really going as planned.

10) Motivation, usually in the form of a picture or saying. It hangs just above my screen so that when I lean back and put my feet up I see it clearly. I have a sentimental card my sister gave me. A cute picture, a fortune from a cookie and a few other things I've tacked or taped up to keep me inspired.  I don't know where I found this quote, or how Napoleon Hill is, but he said "What the mind can conceive, it can achieve." I wrote it down on a sticky note and placed it were I could see it. Even if I don't read it every day, even if I don't really see it. It is still a bright spot at my computer.

So here is my question to you. What keeps you motivated to write through writer's block, computer backups and emotional breakdowns? Are you like me and find a happy escape in writing? Maybe what you put on digital paper is something cathartic, but what keeps you going when the words won't come willingly?

Looking around I realize two things. While I surround myself with stuff, the real motivation comes from within and no amount of sticky notes and knick-knack life hacks are going to make things perfect. Secondly, I really need to clean off my desk! It's time to take a cleaning break.

To those of you who read this, please comment if only to say hi. I really would like to hear from you. Even if it is to suggest I do something different.

As ever, Write On!

No comments:

Post a Comment